1 young of any of various canines such as a dog or wolf [syn: whelp]
2 an inexperienced young person [syn: puppy] v : birth; "the dog whelped" [syn: whelp] [also: pupping, pupped]
- Rhymes: -ʌp
- A young dog, wolf, fox, seal, shark and some other animals.
- The dog has had that bed since he was just a pup.
- A young, inexperienced person.
- The new teacher is a mere pup.
- Any dog that you believe is cute, regardless of age.
- My pup likes to run as fast as he can (indoors), yet cannot always stop in time!
- Russian: щенок (schenok) (1,2)
- To give birth to pups.
- Russian: щениться (schenit'sya)
Pup may refer to:
- Any dog that you believe is "cute", regardless of age.
In other fields
- Sopwith Pup, an aircraft used by the British in World War I
- Beagle Pup, a 1960s British light aircraft
- Michael Clarke (cricketer), an Australian cricketer nicknamed "Pup"
- Puppis, a constellation, abbreviated as "Pup"
- Pups (film), a 1999 film
- Pup (manufacturer), a manufacturer of automobiles
- pup, the package updater (GUI front-end for YUM in Linux computing)
pup in French: Pup
pup in Dutch: Pup
pup in Simple English: Pup
Seeing Eye dog, bandog, be confined, bear, bear a child, bear young, birdling, bitch, boldface, bowwow, boy, brazenface, bub, bubba, buck, bud, buddy, calf, calve, canine, cast, catling, chick, chickling, chicky, chutzpanik, colt, cub, dog, dogie, drop, duckling, fancy dog, farrow, fawn, fellow, fledgling, foal, fryer, give birth, gosling, guide dog, gyp, have, have a baby, have young, hobbledehoy, hussy, kennel, kid, kit, kitten, labor, lad, laddie, lamb, lambkin, lap dog, lie in, litter, malapert, manchild, master, minx, muchacho, nest, nestling, pack of dogs, piglet, pigling, polliwog, pooch, pullet, puppy, saucebox, schoolboy, sheep dog, shoat, show dog, sled dog, slut, smart aleck, smart-ass, smarty, smarty-pants, sonny, sonny boy, sprat, squirt, squit, swaggerer, tadpole, throw, toy dog, travail, upstart, watchdog, weaner, whelp, whippersnapper, wise guy, wise-ass, working dog, yean, yeanling, young man, youth